Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Crock Pot Yogurt!

I tried this overnight and wow! It was so easy and cheap. I made a half gallon of organic yogurt for $2! Check out ths link for the instructions:

http://www.nourishingdays.com/2009/02/make-yogurt-in-your-crock-pot/

I've tried a couple other yogurt techniques, but none were near as easy as this one. The directions are easy to follow and it yields near perfect results. If you consume much yogurt, you should try this to save money.

The end result is plain yogurt (nonfat if you use nonfat milk and whole if you use whole, which is what I did. We buy our milk straight from a farmer in town that is organic, raw milk for only $4/gal.) You will want to sweeten it with honey or stevia and fruit, like blueberries, strawberries and bananas. You could also use it as a replacement for sour cream in recipes.

I use my yogurt to soak my whole grains to remove phytates, making my baked goods more easily digestible and healthy. Read more about that on this blog:

http://www.passionatehomemaking.com/2008/04/whole-grains-grinding-soaking.html

The blog I just mentioned (Passionate Homemaking) is an awesome resource for any mama focused on being the best homemaker they can be for their family. I strongly recommend checking it out and browsing its content for ideas that can help your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment