Friday, May 13, 2011

My take on Muesli

Muesli is loosely defined by Wikipedia as "a popular breakfast cereal based on uncooked rolled oats, fruit and nuts." That's pretty broad, but here is how I do it and its a hit with my family!

6 dried figs
6 dates
1/2 cup walnuts
1/4 cup almonds
1/4 cup raisins
3/4 cup oats
1 cup milk
1 cup plain yogurt
3 tbs. honey

Pulse first four ingredients in food processor until coarsely chopped. Add remaining ingredients and then refrigerate 2-24 hours to soften and absorb liquid. (I let mine sit at room temp. for 12 hours in order to remove phytates from the oats.)


Our family scripture this week: Let the words of mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord, my strength and my redeemer. Psalm 19:14

3 comments:

  1. Just wanted to let you know that I had never heard of a 'phytate' before your blog- so I've read up on it a little bit. Sounds like a good cereal- I might try it! I've been eating Kashi's GOLean cereals (if they are on sale!) Probably should try and make my own. Thanks for all this info!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kacie- I just heard of a phytate sometime in the past year. I try to not be a total health fanatic, but I do soak regularly just because its not really hard and it gets half of the process of cooking done the day before. I have a post about homemade granola you might like too. That would probably be more comparable to Kashi cereal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa your a wonderful momma and wife, I look up to and I hope I am as just as good as you.

    ReplyDelete