Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Parenting Expert

This post is written both as a warning for people who do not yet have kids and as encouragement for anyone with kids who doubts their ability to discern the proper way of dealing with all of the gray areas of parenting.

Hi my name is Lisa Bass and I was a parenting expert....before I had kids! I read the books while I was pregnant and had it all figured out. I knew how to get them to sleep well at night, play happily during the day and never throw a fit or disobey there mama. I'm sure any experienced moms reading this are laughing already. I even remember being judgemental of others who had disobedient children. I wondered why people had such a hard time with it. Come on, its obvious, if your child is having a tantrum for something you said no to, just don't give it to them and they won't try that again. A child's will is much stronger than that. Oh, and if they aren't sleeping well just let them fuss a few minutes and they will fall asleep. Again, my kids didn't get that memo! This is only a tiny sample of what I thought I knew. I was perfectly prepared to have the best behaved, hardest working, smartest children in town. They were also going to sit quietly through church. The nursery is only for kids whose parents' have no control over them. (If you've ever been at church with us you're giggling by now.)

My point in all this. Pride is ugly. The Bible says "God resists the proud" (James 4:6) Ouch. It makes one think they know better than anyone else and it keeps them from seeking out wisdom from others' that have walked the road before. It keeps us looking inward for wisdom instead of looking to the creator of all. It makes it hard for us to admit faults and keeps us from turning around when we have started down the wrong road.

A wise woman I know told me to be wary of any parenting "experts" with a one-size fits all solution, who claim they have all the answers and find it possible for parents to achieve perfection in their own strength. Those weren't her exact words but thats the gist. I think that is some great advice for new parents or parents to be.

Of course, I believe its impotant to teach children right and wrong, to raise them to be hard workers and show them how to have a relationship with Jesus. I'm simply addressing the pride isue here which leads us right into the trap of legalism and keeps us from enjoying God's fullness.

3 comments:

  1. So true! Every family and every child is unique...and presents unique challenges. You just never know what God is going to give us to work on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! true, true. God is completely in control and having a kid has just made me more and more aware of that daily:)
    YOURS, MINE AND OURS

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right! I have to think of how very different, strong-willed, unique (as Ashley up there said), and a million other adjectives -some/most not so positive- God's kids are! That's us! So thankful our Heavenly Father loves us unconditionally and never gives up on us.
    PS. Enjoying your new blog!!!

    ReplyDelete