Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Recently I have gotten really into curtain making. First I stiched some from a cute upholstery fabric I found on sale for Ruth's room. The I made some white, simple curtains for our bathroom and yesterday I made two giant panels for our bedroom from an extremely large table cloth I found at Goodwill for $4.

I will eventually post instructions for many different designs, but today I want to tell you about my "5 minute curtains." You may not be able to find fabric just like the piece I found, but if you keep your eye out you will eventually stumbl upon a bargain. First, I will tell you what to look for.







-Make sure the piece is finished all the way around the edges. As you can see in this picture, mine is finished all the way around and also has little decorative cutouts, which made me really drawn to this piece.


-Make sure it is long enough for either one panel or two panels. (Know the project you are aiming for. If you want them to cover your bedroom window, it will need to be a length slightly longer than your window. I it is just for your kitchen or bathroom, it can probably be shorter.)

-Of course, make sure its a color you like and that the fabric is thicker than quilting weight, especially if you are concerned about a lot of light coming through (if it is in your bedroom.)


-Make sure the piece is square or rectangle shaped.

Once you have the right piece, the rest is sooo simple. For my curtains I simply cut the table cloth in half (because it was long enough for two panels) and then folded down the unfinished edge (the part I just cut) about an inch and sewed it with coordinating thread. If your urtain rod is wide, make sure you fold it down enough so hat the curtain rod can fit through it.





Since all the edges were already finished, that is all the sewing you have to do, just the part where you cut. If you only found a piece big enough for one panel, just fold a spot over on the top or bottom for the rod to go through.



It's literally a 5-minute curtain!



Tip: You can also use a shower curtain for bedroom curtains. Just loop some pretty ribbon through the holes and tie bows for each one around your curtain rod. (Just make sure its not viny material, but a fabric curtain.)



If you have questions about this project or any others, feel free to leave a comment and I can help you through it.



If you have any more simple and easy curtain ideas, leave you idea in the comments section.

No comments:

Post a Comment